- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tbsp sugar, divided
- 3/4 tsp salt divided
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp orange zest, divided
- 1 1/2 cup mixed berries (we used blackberries and blueberries)
- 1 1/2 cup white peaches, pealed and sliced
- 1 cup strawberries, halved
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- optional: whipped cream, ice cream or condensed milk
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 12″ cast iron pan with 1 tbsp of butter. Rinse and prepare your fruit. We placed the berries, peaches and strawberries into separate bowls. We used frozen strawberries but fresh will work just as good. In a large bowl whisk together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, cornstarch and 1 tsp of zest. Divide the mixture between the 3 different fruit bowls and toss. Stir a dash of vanilla and lemon juice into each bowl. Pour each mixture into the cast iron.
In another bowl add 2 tbsp sugar, remaining zest, flour, baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt. With a pastry cutter, cut in 3 tbsp of butter until you get peas size clumps. Stir in milk to soften the dough. Spoon the dough over the filling. Finally sprinkle with remaining sugar and bake for 35 minutes.
Enjoy with some whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream. We didn’t have either so we improvised and drizzle some condensed milk over the top and it was delicious! Have a safe Independence Day!