Phat’s Cast Iron Tater Tot Hot Dish: I always see the same old tater tot hot dishes so I wanted to switch things up a bit. Why not do it all in one pan? So I turned to my cast iron skillet and came up with this really simple idea. More meat than veggies, more cheese! The way I like it.
- 1.5 lb ground beef
- 1 medium white onion
- 12 oz frozen vegetables(mixed veggies with corn/peas/carrots)
- 16 oz frozen tater tots(or whatever fits in cast iron)
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of mushroom garlic soup
- Shredded cheddar cheese (about 2 cups)
- Salt and pepper
- Crunchy cheddar cheese French fried onions
- Teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- In a cast iron pan, brown the onion (chopped). Then add beef and brown. Salt and pepper accordingly. Drain the fat.
- Combine the two cans of soup, the frozen veggies (don’t need to be thawed), add a couple splashes of milk (probably about 1/4 to 1/2 cup) and the Worcestershire sauce to the cast iron pan of beef/onion mix.
- Salt and pepper to taste and mix it all together
- Cover it all with a layer of frozen tater tots in a neat organized display.
- Bake it in the oven at 375 F for 25-28 minutes
- Take it out of the oven and add a layer of shredded cheese over it all (I used mild cheddar and sharp cheddar) along with the cheddar French fried onions.
- Put it back in the oven for another 10-13 minutes until the cheese is melted and the onions on top are golden brown.
Enjoy with a smile!